Universal Merchant Bank (UMB) opened its door to the public on 15th March 1972 as the premier merchant bank in Ghana.
In 2005, we introduced Retail Banking with the acquisition of a Universal Banking License. Currently the bank has thirty one (31) branches nationwide two (2) UMB Centres for Businesses and one (1) UMB PPP Incubator Centre.
We are recognized for our entrepreneurial approach, innovative use of technology, and distinctive banking solutions.
Our core values permeate everything that we undertake and they inform our approach to delivering exceptional financial products and services. At UMB, we operate with S.P.E.E.D.
Strategic Pillars and Focus
Our pillars to achieve success for this year and beyond are
Our plan is anchored on retaining our position as the premier corporate bank and regaining growth in this area whilst expanding into the retail banking space. We will achieve this objective by expanding into the value chain of our corporate portfolio. Combined with our commitment to providing excellent and convenient customer care, we have set up structures to ensure our success.
- 2017 Cyber Security Management Award, Ghana Information Technology and Telcom Awards
- 2016 Brand Leadership Award, Brand Excellence Awards
- 2016 Student Friendly Bank of the Year, Ghana Tertiary Awards
- 2016 Gender Sensitivity in Branch Management Award, National Women in Finance Awards
- 2015 Best Performing Bank MTN Mobile Money Month
- The establishment of a hire purchase and leasing business in Ghana.
- The promotion and formation of the first Discount House in Ghana.
- Handled the share issues of 8 out of 10 companies when there was no Stock Exchange in Ghana in the 1970’s.
- The initiation of the preparatory work in the establishment of the Ghana Stock Exchange (GSE).
- The sponsorship and registration of about 50% of the companies on the GSE.
- The arrangement and formation of the mortgage company currently known as HFC Bank Limited
- Served as an advisory body in the acquisition of SSB Bank by Societe’ Generale; and
- The merger of Ashanti Goldfields and Anglogold.